[clug] Wickr and previous privacy discussion

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Thu Mar 19 16:43:01 MDT 2015

Let me try that again I meant to hit spell and hit send instead :-(. Not
enough caffeine this morning or too much?

On 20/03/2015 2:01 am, James Ring wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 9:33 PM, Hal Ashburner <hal at ashburner.info> wrote:
>> I use TextSecure and recommend using it as the default sms app on
>> Android. I recommend my ios using friends use signal, which is the
>> compatible ios app.
> Does this actually protect you against metadata collection? Sure
> message content is scrambled, but not the headers.

Yes, what you're trying to protect against is traffic analysis. The only
way to do this is to have a messaging app that will send random messages
to random users to cloud the waters. This would have to be don't in a
manner which would remove statistically meaningful information from
distribution of messages send and received by users of the system, ie
flatten the distribution curves for user-to-user messaging. This would
be easier to do when combined with onion routing across multiple
separate legal jurisdictions and entities.

Jeff.