[clug] Wickr and previous privacy discussion

Hal Ashburner hal at ashburner.info
Wed Mar 18 22:33:27 MDT 2015

I use TextSecure and recommend using it as the default sms app on
Android. I recommend my ios using friends use signal, which is the
compatible ios app.

The protocol is open and well specified. The source is Free. It comes
with Moxie Marlinspike halos as endorsed by Jake Appelabaum (whether
you think that is a positive or a negative is up to you). I'd go with
capable (somewhat) dissidents every single day of the week on this
sort of thing if only because there are a metric f.ton() of really
smart, diligent even obsessive people who want to find the
bug/backdoor/mis-specification to make them eat crow while making
their own reputation @ blackhat.

If you think having secure comms is something you might ever want,
start using TextSecure or Signal now. By the time you really need it
it may be too late. "But I can't see why I would ever need it" - If
you ever see a crime (eg murder) committed by a well connected and
powerful person and don't feel right about being complicit and
ignoring it - that's when you have something to hide.

<unpaid_advert>

TextSecure, just install the damn thing now. Unless you're on ios,
then install Signal.
No really, do it.

</unpaid_advert>

It needs you (both ends have to use it to encrypt) as much as you
might ever need it and it costs nothing.

Now wickr:

"there's virtually no technical information available on it"
http://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2013/03/here-come-encryption-apps.html

"the code is not open to independent review"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wickr

It may well be great but that doesn't inspire as much confidence as
the TextSecure approach which is the approach taken by all
meaningfully useful crypto that we know of up until now.

2c, and worth all of it.