[clug] Dangerous Dave's talk

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Thu Mar 5 16:08:38 MST 2015

On 06/03/15 07:54, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> Please don't top post
>

> On 05/03/15 23:21, Dodgy Dave wrote:
>> I think a more engineering approach is to assess the risks (write them
>> down), and then attempt to mitigate/cover those risks one by one,
>> assessing them for strengths and weaknesses. Pretty boring, but quite
>> likely to give the best outcomes in the end.
>>
>> For each 'solution' element, what are the risks that it covers, and how
>> well? Are there better ways to do the same thing? Are the risks real, or
>> just 'tin foil' material? Are they practical? At what 'cost' or level of
>> difficulty, etc
>
> I think Hal has clearly indicated the problems with the VM approach, as
> have I with the LiveCD and using an OS on a removable device.
>
> If you have specific points you disagree with please indicate which ones
> and I'm happy to demonstrate my reasoning.
>
> I'm not sure why you prefer an "engineering" approach (or what you mean
> by it from a "software" engineering point of view).
>
> IMO the proper approach is from a risk management and security
> engineering one. From a risk management point of view it's important to
> consider not just the "chance" of something going wrong - but the impact
> "if" something goes wrong otherwise you run the risk of dismissing
> possible risks as "tin foil" (ignorance based risk assessment) simply
> because while "it might be possible" "it hasn't happened yet"*1.
>  From a security engineering approach - minimise exposure, which has
> already been done if only using the "device" (be it VM/chroot/removable
> device) for banking, and, *change control* - don't do it if you can't
> make a compelling argument in favor of the change that has been
> thoroughly thought through (do you really need to do online banking?
> which scripts are necessary to run on the bank site? would a debit card
> be better than a credit card, etc).

I sometimes wonder why the (disproportionate?) interest in online
banking vs. other online activities where rich metadata is being
freely given to foreign-controlled entities? Is guarding online
banking a privacy issue or a theft issue?

If the latter, can anyone point to an instance where an Australian
bank has not ended up re-imbursing the loss(es)? Certainly, there
are convenience issues at play, and the story probably differs for
a business banking breach vs. a personal banking breach, but does
anyone know of cases where the eventual outcome was a loss to the
customer, where the customer had taken "reasonable" steps to protect
their online activities?

Or is "online banking" simply a metaphor for a whole range of online
activities that are desired to be kept private?

cheers,

Bob Edwards.