[clug] SSL

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 03:52:06 MST 2015

For those who are interested in SSL this is a great book (at a great price).

>From the email they sent me:-

Today we're releasing the second edition of OpenSSL Cookbook, our free
OpenSSL book. This edition is a major update, with improvements to the
existing text as well as new content. This new edition has about 95
pages, which is an increase of about 35 pages comparing to the previous
release.

Get it here: https://www.feistyduck.com/books/openssl-cookbook/

Here's a brief overview of what's new:

- New chapter "Testing with OpenSSL", which focuses on secure server
assessment.

- New section "Recommended Configuration", which contains a list of
recommended cipher suites. I now prefer to configure OpenSSL by
explicitly listing all the suites I wish to enable.

- New section "Creating a Private Certification Authority", which
contains a step-by-step guide to creating and deploying a private CA.

- Updated "SSL/TLS Deployment Best Practices" to v1.4. Important changes
in this version include SHA1 deprecation and SSL v3 weaknesses (POODLE).

Disclaimers - I have nothing to do with the book, the book will cost you
nothing.

A useful place to test your server and browser SSL settings is
https://www.ssllabs.com

Hope some find this useful

Kind regards