[clug] Dangerous Dave's talk

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 13:58:25 MST 2015

On 05/03/15 07:54, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 05/03/15 07:37, Hal Ashburner wrote:
>> On 4 March 2015 at 21:43, Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> A live CD is better - *if* kept updated. An OS installed to a USB Key is
>>> (possibly?) not quite as secure as a Live CD, but is easier to keep updated.
>>>

>> What about an SD card that you enable as writable only to do updates
>> with that big hardware switch on the side of it?
>>

> Same advantages/disadvantages as a USB Flash drive.

NOTE: I have no *compelling* reason to trust that big hardware switch,
and a tiny concern that it may promote the sort of trust that 'might'
lead to someone forgetting to switch it on at the wrong time. A small
measure of perceived comfort?

Convenience and complexity are the enemies of security?

<snipped>

Kind regards