[clug] Small device fir mythtv frontent.

Hal Ashburner hal at ashburner.info
Sun Mar 1 18:11:21 MST 2015

On 2 March 2015 at 11:57, Bob Edwards <Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au> wrote:

> So, in theme with Dashing Dave's wonderful discussion of his trials
> and tribulations with his $1500+ HP laptop with 16GB RAM etc., at
> the other end of the scale, what is the lowest priced laptop available
> off the shelf in Canberra that can drive full HD (HDMI) from only
> open-source software (none of this crazy RaPi binary-only blob
> nonsense)?
>
> Is there anything available in the $300 ball-park?

I have happily driven a 1080p monitor with a pretty old (early
core2duo) packard bell laptop using intel graphics over vga.
Starts to suck (slow down) if you want it to drive its own monitor as
well as the tv. Has no dvi output for dvi-hdmi cable to use, newer
laptops usually do.

ubu 14.04, gnome 3.

Going down the 2nd hand route should get you below $300 for a laptop
with intel graphics, no?