[clug] wireless access point on Linux box?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Jun 29 22:19:43 MDT 2015

Given that you’ve already got Ethernet down to the MythTV, I’d go with a second WiFi router that has multiple Ethernet ports. Hook the “uplink” into the router, connect the MythTV to the router (using the router as a hub/switch), and use the same SSID & credentials on the WiFi. This is the most basic form of WiFi roaming and will work well except when it doesn’t, which is usually because you have a “bad” client which tries to keep using the one access point, rather than connecting to the one with the best signal.

You *could* put an AP-capable WiFi card in the MythTV, but IMHO a router will give you much better coverage for much less hassle.

Alex