[clug] Pointless time-wasting bash questions

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Thu Jun 25 20:55:57 MDT 2015

On 26/06/15 11:44, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> Of most importance to me: any attempt at using expansion is going to blow up in your face when you have paths containing spaces, unicode characters and other characters that typically need escape sequences.
>
> I have been using spaces and unicode/non-latin characters in file names

Then you are asking for trouble. I am not arguing who is to blame for mishandling
such names, just saying that in the end it is you paying the price. Is it really
worth the cost?

I gave up on such names a long time ago, being bitten too many times (on linux and windows).

In a perfect world ... Well, let us know when you find one.

 > (and omitting filename extensions) since about 1988 or so. I have learned to be careful when using shell commands.

And is it worth the constant quoting in shell (and other places)?

> Alex

chℯℯrs

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)