[clug] Canberra Functional Programming Group -> OT Haskell

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 07:51:16 MDT 2015

On 21 June 2015 at 23:34, Bryan Kilgallin <bryan at netspeed.com.au> wrote:
> I have been reading "Learn You a Haskell For Great Good!". Wherein I am up
> to Typeclasses 101.
> http://learnyouahaskell.com/types-and-typeclasses#typeclasses-101
>
> Listed under "Bounded" is the following example.
>
> ghci> maxBound :: Char
> '\1114111'
>
> Therefore the highest possible character is '\1114111'. Which is 10FFFF in
> hexadecimal. Thus including all Unicode characters.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_%28Unicode%29
>
> I have only coded up to 8 bit characters. Has anyone here coded with higher
> Unicode characters?

Anyone who is doing multilingual work?  (I've used variable/function
names in Haskell using letter-like symbols like 𝔹, though GHC has a
bug where combining characters aren't considered letters when
determining if something is a valid variable name.)  Whilst English
predominates due to international usage, I have seen code written
using other languages (for variable names as well as comments).