[clug] German City Council deployed Linux OS across their departments

da ro charlesaymard at gmx.de
Fri Jun 12 09:29:15 MDT 2015

Hi,

As far as I can tell from what was made public, no official body in
Munich ever advocated returning to Windows - that option was only
brought up by one person, the second mayor (i.e. a second-in-command in
the municipal executive), while non of the people actually responsible
for it shared that stance and instead vocally opposed it.

The politician who did blame Linux for some of their issues, which
seem to have been due to insufficient and badly maintained
infrastructure, has personal ties to Microsoft, who moved a division of
their German operations to Munich recently.

The only report of the evaluation was not available for free to me
right now
(http://www.heise.de/artikel-archiv/ix/2015/02/019_Open-Source), but
from the excerpt it seems to be that it didn't find that Linux was
responsible for any of their real or puported issues.

Unfortunately, 'famous Linux migration project FAIL' is a headline that
drives clicks more than 'Munich needs to admin their mail server
better'.

Daniel