[clug] German City Council deployed Linux OS across their departments

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Thu Jun 11 16:39:32 MDT 2015

    Hi,

Some time ago a Microsoft news item reported; "German government has
decided to switch back to Windows after 10 years."
http://microsoft-news.com/german-government-switching-back-to-windows-os-from-linux-after-10-years/

I am a bit confused here as I use the words "government" and "City
Council" to mean different governing bodies.  But besides this, it
seems many other web news sites picked up on this and reported the
imminent  end of Linux use  and the move back to Windows by the
German City Council, however I don't believe that this ever happened.

What is troubling me is that doing a Google search, I am unable to
find any reports about the conclusions of the reported "2014 audit"
being performed by the Munich City Council.

Nor can I find any 2015 news reports on their continued use of Linux
or any move back to Windows. All the items I get in my searches are
dated 2014 and older.  Surely someone, somewhere has made comments in
the last six months?

If you can find any updates on what OS Munich is using, on what was
the result of the 2014 audit, if it really happened, or what Munich
City Council's current IT strategy is, please post those links here
for me.

The best information that I could find was dated October 2014. But why
no updates these last six months?  Even when I search on 2015, Kolab
and Munich I get no 2015 pages returned?

http://www.bristolwireless.net/blog/2014/10/16/munich-sticks-with-limux-and-free-software/

 MUNICH STICKS WITH LIMUX AND FREE SOFTWARE

  Steve Woods [1]  International IT News [2], Open Source News [3]
October 16, 2014 [4]  1 Comment » [5]

Limux iconOn Tuesday, Munich’s first mayor finally responded to an
inquiry by the Green Party [6] (PDF, German) about rumours regarding a
possible reversion to a Windows-based desktop environment from its
current Linux-based LiMux [7] system (_news passim [8]_). The response
shows that there is no factual basis for the claims made by first
mayor and second mayor. An evaluation of the IT infrastructure and
processes is in progress.

In recent months, statements by the newly appointed mayors Reiter and
Schmid (_Munich has 3 mayors. Ed._) have stirred up confusion about
the future IT strategy of Munich. Contrary to third mayor Christine
Strobl, the first and second mayors have hinted in recent months a
possible end to the use of free software within the city. However,
facts were hard to obtain. The answer to the inquiry has now shed some
light on the matter.

NO FACTUAL BASIS FOR CRITICISM

The mayor now admits that the often-cited waiting time needed to
obtain official work mobile phone is unrelated to the LiMux operating
system, but was instead caused by the fact that he was the first to
demand the implementation of Apple’s iOS [9] in the city’s IT
infrastructure.

As regards the missing unified mail and calendar application
criticised by Schmid, it became clear that the relevant Kolab [10]
free software solution is currently being implemented. This only
started in early 2014 and is expected to be in use early in 2015.

Links:
------
[1] http://www.bristolwireless.net/
[2]