[clug] Window resizing -> Metacity

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Mon Jun 8 03:58:33 MDT 2015

Scott:

> Often you'll find your window manager will allow you to change the default size and position of windows on a per application basis.

I found Metacity "Lightweight GTK+ window manager". And from a terminal
window, I launched metacity-window-demo. But I don't yet understand how
to use Metacity for anything practical!

> In some cases you can modify the width of window decoration. e.g. KDE -> System Settings -> Application Appearance -> Style -> Configure widget styles -> Scrollbars -> scrollbar width/top/bottom arrow type
For Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Unity, I found this. Perhaps you can
interpret/explain (how to use/do) it.

{Decorations
Until 13.10 unity supported the metacity theming engine, through the
compiz native gtk-window-decorator, however this system is quite old
right now, and has never been ported to gtk3 to get better theming
capabilities and support gtk-css theming (hey, no anti-aliased rounded
corners!). Also its architecture was really quite complex and caused
things such as the normal resizing to be much slower.}

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity/Theming

> In most cases you can select a style that will give you the edge width you want (or modify it to suit your needs).

In a terminal window, I looked at the man page for
metacity-theme-viewer. That referred me to ~/usr/share/themes.

> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

This reminds me of a superluminal neutrino joke!

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/