[clug] Iview not working for fedora 20

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 22:01:43 MDT 2015

On 08/06/15 12:38, George at Clug wrote:
>     Paul,
>
> When accessing iView on the ABC site, my Android phone says "Goole
> Play Store needs background data to be enabled, Enable , Quit".  I
> don't enable this on my phone, and so I was unable to play the video.
> Why would Google insist on users connecting to their Online Store just
> to play free videos from a web site ? I don't like companies that
> insist on you using their "Store" to be able to do anything useful on
> your computers (phones, tablets, laptops, or desktops).

Because port 1935 needs to be opened for iView (and Ffflash installed) -
you can do that yourself on an unlocked Android.

<snipped>

> At Monday, 08-06-2015 on 12:15 George at Clug wrote:
>

>     Paul,
>
> I can confirm that I get this message (Ooops..)  too.
>
> In Windows, if I don't have Adobe Flash Player installed I get the
> error message; "The Adobe Flash player [1] plug-in is required to
> watch video on the iview website."
>
> In Windows Edge web browser
> http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/iview-guest-playlist/IV1460H006S00#playing
> plays as expected.
>
> My hunch is that the iView site is not compatible with the Adobe Flash
> player plugin in Linux,

No need to guess. This "issue" is over a year old and a quick search
will yield results full of people asking the same question over and over
as a result of not reading the FAQ.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=abc+iview+faq&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=CA91VcWPJuLMmwWP2YGIDA#q=abc+iview+linux&tbs=qdr:y

The ABC makes that clear on their site:-
http://iview.abc.net.au/support/faqs

[quote]
You will also need Adobe Flash Player 11.7+ to view the streaming video.
[/quote]

See also:-
http://www.abc.net.au/abcforkids/grownups/help.htm#videotrouble

As previously stated:-
You can't install Ffflash 11.7+ on linux - only 11.2.x. Your only
choices for viewing iView under Linux are to either use an application
that uses Ffflash v11.7+ (Chrome or a Windows browser with Ffflash
v11.7+ running in WINE) or rip a FLV stream using python-iview.

And no - while you 'can' edit Ffflash to spoof a later version number
the videos still will *not* play because the required functionality is
only available in v11.7+

<snipped>