[clug] Stupid scroll bar!

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sun Jun 7 19:58:10 MDT 2015

On 07/06/15 14:29, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> I have a longstanding issue with scroll-bar behavior. What I like is that clicking
> above or below the "bar" (the vertical line segment inside the scroll-bar showing the
> extent that is visible) scroll a page-full up or down.
>
> Some programs actually move the visible part to where I click. I hate this.
>
> Thunderbird was doing this well and it still does,
>
> Firefox was doing it well and it now does not. How do I make firefox return to the
> nice way? Is there a global appearance setting to request this (meaning, is the SB
> a feature of the program or of the window manager or such?). Is there a FF option?
>
> TIA

After much discussion I am now reasonably convinced that this is how gtk-3 works.
As sad as it is, it was intentionally broken and there seems to be no intention to
fix it.

The issue was originally reported about two years ago, and probably earlier as this
blog already saw some commotion ('heartburn')
	https://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2013/08/05/scrolling-in-gtk/

As is clear in this writeup, rather than allowing the old behavior, the response was
to change it further ('compensate').

cheers :-(

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)