[clug] How you know your Free or Open Source Software Project is doomed to FAIL

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Jul 28 22:50:28 UTC 2015

> On 29 Jul 2015, at 07:08, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is a configurable build really necessary?  Especially for smaller
> projects, or ones written in something like Python or Perl where the
> libraries are typically smaller and more focused.

Are you using OS-stock, Virtual Environments, Vagrant, Docker, AWS? Where? Which version of Python or Perl?

If your project is backed by a data store, where is it? Is it ANSI SQL, MySQL, Postgres, Oracle, Mongo, Readis or something else? Can I use Postgresql or is the project tightly bound to MySQL?

Is your project a bunch of components that work together, some of which I don’t need? For example I might want to use your “Dropbox clone” for storing files, but don’t need it for email, calendar, contacts, etc. How do I enable just the ubiquitous file store portion?

> What happens if you don't have a website? Does every little library
> need one? Or does a project page on your VCS hosting sufficient?

A website is useful for helping your project find users. For example this one is quite simple: https://getnikola.com — The website provides the useful details: what does this software do for me?

Without the web site, I’d just be landing at a Github page with a README.md here: https://github.com/getnikola/nikola

The web site makes Nikola feel more polished, so I’m more willing to dig into the guts of it. Yes, judging a book by its cover or a person by the shoes they wear, yadda yadda. But it’s the way humans work.

Alex