[clug] Zodiac FX OpenFlow switch on Kickstarter

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Tue Jul 28 01:38:16 UTC 2015

On 28/07/15 11:26, David Austin wrote:

> On 28 July 2015 at 10:20, Bob Edwards <Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
> <mailto:Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au>> wrote:
>
>     At the BeerSIG last Thursday (prior to CLUG), the Zodiac FX low-cost
>     OpenFlow SDN switch Kickstarter project was discussed and several
>     of us signed up for one. They are coming from a Melbourne-based
>     outfit called Northbound Networks.
>
>     https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/northboundnetworks/zodiac-fx-the-worlds-smallest-openflow-sdn-switch
>
>     $79 incl. postage for a 4-port (3 + 1) 10/100Mbps OpenFlow switch.
>

> We can't see both sides of the PCB but we can see quite a lot and it
> does not appear that they have correctly laid out the differential pairs on
> the PCB.
>
> David

A reasonable observation. I would definitely care about that if it were
GigE+ or USB2.0+, but it is 10/100Mbps (25Mb max. signalling rate etc.)
so I'm less concerned.

Plus it has been tested (apparently) downloading 3 episodes of Games of
Thrones from iTunes (neither downloading from iTunes, nor downloading
GoT are of any interest to me), although I don't know what the cable
lengths used were etc.. So it does, apparently, work...

Might be worth writing them a note to let them know that this might be
a thing.

cheers,

Bob Edwards.