[clug] Man pages.

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Mon Jul 27 15:06:56 UTC 2015

Dear Bob:

> Man pages were originally written _by_ System Admins and Programmers
> _for_ System Admins and Programmers. They are a useful reminder of how
> to invoke a function call etc., not intended to be a beginners guide
> to programming or system administration.

I would like on-line references therein to the less technical/jargon
stuff. Like assisting--rather than assuming! When I tried read the most
available text--I felt too ignorant to be reading it.

So I prefer "info" where available.

{Few alternatives to |man| have enjoyed much popularity, with the
possible exception of GNU Project's
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Project> "|info
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texinfo>|" system, an early and simple
hypertext <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertext> system.}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_page#History

> Keep the man pages short and succinct and go to the textbook for the
> introductory material.

To someone on a lesser income--such seem inaccessible. For I found that
ACT libraries had little on Linux!

-- www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/