[clug] Canberra Linux Users Group Meeting - 23 July 2015

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Tue Jul 21 11:24:46 UTC 2015

(Sending again on behalf of Steve Hanley, as he's otherwise indisposed)

Canberra Linux Users Group Meeting - 23 July 2015

  Date:          23 July 2015 (Fourth Thursday of the month)

  Time:          18:15 - 18:55

  Abstract:      It's BeerSIG time!
                 'What's BeerSIG?' I hear you ask! BeerSIG is a social
gathering, and an
                 opportunity to get together with like minded people and
share a social pint
                 or two before the meeting.

  Location:      Wig and Pen, Llewellyn Hall, Canberra School of Music

  Time:          19:00 - 21:00 (or when it finishes)

  Speaker:       Paul Harvey

  Abstract:      I've been using QubesOS https://www.qubes-os.org/ for
over 6 months,
                 and although it's complicated my life a little, I now
feel naked without it!

                 I'd like to talk about why Qubes is more than just a
bunch of VMs:
                  - Helps mitigate against hostile USB devices (I'll
bring a USB rubber
                     ducky configured for hostility, just to demonstrate)
                  - Helps contain malicious PDFs and (eventually) other
documents
                  - Helps mitigate flaws inherent in the now decades-old
design/architecture
                     of X11, while at the same time giving a unique,
somewhat seamless
                     GUI experience for running different apps in
different VMs
                  - Helps contain exploits that might occur in kernel
network drivers
                  - Helps reduce the scope of malware impact by
containing its influence to
                     just a few filesystem locations that actually
persist across AppVM reboots:
                     Eg. /home and /usr/local directories (the rest of
the root filesystem usually
                           comes from a template rootfs that's
instantiated on every AppVM start)
                  - Provides a neat point & click way to chain different
networking VMs together
                     in front of any of your AppVMs (firewall, IDS,
proxy, Tor, etc)
                  - Improves memory utilization by using fancy xen stuff
to share/release free
                     memory among running AppVMs
                 ... among other things

  Venue:         Room N101
                 Computer Science and Information Technology Building
                 North Road
                 The Australian National University

                 See http://clug.org.au/ for more directions and a map

  Food/drink:    Pizza and soft drink/juice. Come hungry, and bring
                 about $6 to cover the cost of your share if you
                 want some.