[clug] OpenMoko network connection

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Sat Jan 31 11:21:49 MST 2015

Thanks, Hal:

> You can mount the phone's storage over ssh with sshfs and then
> literally use any program on you computer to access as everything is
> presented as local files (despite really involving ssh over network
> behind the scenes).
>
> nautilus "connect to server" and select the ssh options is probably
> the easiest way to do this.

Yes, I had a Nautilus Connection-to-Server registered for my OpenMoko
phone's root account.

Tonight I used Ubuntu's Network-Connections to add a wired connection to
the phone. Setting the Device MAC address to "7E:ED:A3:7A:1C:30 (usb0)".
Though I couldn't get "802.1X security" to work with the phone's null
password! So I left "Use 802.1X security for this connection" unchecked.
I manually set IPv4 Settings:
     * Address "192.168.0.200";
     * Netmask "255.255.255.0".
And Gateway was automatically filled as "0.0.0.0"

I used Nautilus' bookmark "sftp://root@192.168.202/home/root". Which
showed me the phone's root user's directories/folders.

Then I opened another Nautilus window, showing my PC user's home
directory folders. In Nautilus' View menu, I checked "Show Hidden
Files". Then I opened the ".gvfs" folder. Wherein appeared a new folder
titled "SFTP for root on 192.168.0.202". Which appeared to contain a
copy representing the contents of the phone.

The only presenting current problem was when I was using GVim on the PC.
I created a new text document. Then under the File menu, I chose "Save
As...". Under "Places", I selected "Recently Used". And in the Save As
window list, I clicked "Documents", and entered a file name in the Name
field. Underneath that, "Save in folder:" said "/ on 192.168.0.202"
"home" "root" "Documents". But then I got a warning: "! Please select a
folder below". Double-clicking the Documents folder as above--gave the
following error: "The folder contents could not be displayed: Cannot
change to folder because it is not local".

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/