[clug] Networking an OpenMoko from Debian

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Fri Jan 30 00:24:08 MST 2015

Thanks, Scott:

> No harm in taking on big challenges, but you 'might' want to start with
> the basics (the Dummies book is basic, the embedded one is not).

I have before me the following book. It's thick and heavy!

{Networking All-in-One For Dummies, 4th Edition
Doug Lowe
<http://au.wiley.com/WileyCDA/Section/id-370022.html?query=Doug+Lowe>}
http://au.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470904739.html

Its table of contents follows. Any idea where to look?
:/

{*Introduction.*

*Book I: Networking Basics.*

Chapter 1: Understanding Networks.

Chapter 2: Understanding Network Protocols and Standards.

Chapter 3: Understanding Network Hardware.

Chapter 4: Understanding Network Operating Systems.

*Book II: Building a Network.*

Chapter 1: Planning a Network.

Chapter 2: Installing Network Hardware.

Chapter 3: Setting Up a Network Server.

Chapter 4: Configuring Windows Clients.

Chapter 5: Macintosh Networking.

Chapter 6: Configuring Other Network Features.

Chapter 7: Verifying Your Network Installation.

Chapter 8: Going Virtual.

*Book III: Network Administration and Security.*

Chapter 1: Help Wanted: Job Description for a Network Administrator.

Chapter 2: Security 101.

Chapter 3: Managing User Accounts.

Chapter 4: Firewalls and Virus Protection.

Chapter 5: Extending Your Network with VPN Access.

Chapter 6: Managing Network Software.

Chapter 7: Solving Network Problems.

Chapter 8: Network Performance Anxiety.

Chapter 9: Backing Up Your Data.

Chapter 10: Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Planning.

*Book IV: TCP/IP and the Internet.*

Chapter 1: Introduction to TCP/IP and the Internet.

Chapter 2: Understanding IP Addresses.

Chapter 3: Using DHCP.

Chapter 4: Using DNS.

Chapter 5: Using FTP.

Chapter 6: TCP/IP Tools and Commands.

*Book V: Wireless Networking.*

Chapter 1: Setting Up a Wireless Network.

Chapter 2: Securing a Wireless Network.

Chapter 3: Hotspotting.

Chapter 4: Troubleshooting a Wireless Network.

Chapter 5: Wireless Networking with Bluetooth.

*Book VI: Mobile Networking.*

Chapter 1: Managing Mobile Devices.

Chapter 2: Managing BlackBerry Devices.

Chapter 3: Managing iPhone Devices.

Chapter 4: Managing Android Devices.

Chapter 5: Managing Netbooks.

*Book VII: Windows Server 2008 Reference.*

Chapter 1: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2008 R2.

Chapter 2: Managing Windows Server 2008.

Chapter 3: Dealing with Active Directory.

Chapter 4: Managing Windows User Accounts.

Chapter 5: Managing a File Server.

Chapter 6: Using Group Policy.

Chapter 7: Troubleshooting.

Chapter 8: Windows Commands.

*Book VIII: Using Other Windows Servers.*

Chapter 1: Using Internet Information System (IIS).

Chapter 2: Managing Exchange Server 2010.

Chapter 3: Using SQL Server 2008.

Chapter 4: Using SharePoint.

*Book IX: Managing Linux Systems.*

Chapter 1: Installing a Linux Server.

Chapter 2: Getting Used to Linux.

Chapter 3: Basic Linux Network Configuration.

Chapter 4: Running DHCP and DNS.

Chapter 5: Doing the Samba Dance.

Chapter 6: Running Apache.

Chapter 7: Running Sendmail.

Chapter 8: Running FTP.

Chapter 9: Linux Commands.

*Appendix A: Directory of Useful Web Sites.*

*Appendix B: Glossary.*

> May I recommend:-
> http://debian-handbook.info/get/

Yes, I have bookmarked that.

{The Debian Administrator's Handbook

    Debian Wheezy from Discovery to Mastery

Edition 1}
http://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/

> OpenMoko supports Android, Debian, Gentoo, Qt Extended Improved, QtMoko,
> and SHR.

I see on the phone the following folders:
     * Qtopia; and
     * qtmail.

> I don't know which you have installed on yours.

My phone's installed software is standard/default/out-of-the-box.

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/