[clug] Wired network OpenMoko update errors

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Thu Jan 29 08:16:24 MST 2015

Top right on my Ubuntu desktop is a `⇅' icon.
Clicking that reveals:
     * Wired Network (Intel 82540 EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller); and
     * Wired Network (Linux 2.6.24/s3c2410 udc RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget).
I have the former connected vis TransACT DSL to my ISP Netspeed.

While the latter is disconnected. Otherwise if the latter is connected,
then a moving echo symbol like `⋒' intermittently replaces `⇅'.
Disconnecting the latter Netspeed wired network results in a "Wired
network Disconnected" message.

What are these above Wired Network items for (or what do they mean)?
Specifically when should I connect "Wired Network (Linux 2.6.24/s3c2410
udc RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget)" to my ISP? And how can I then deal with the
intermittent drop-out?

__________

My mobile phone is an OpenMoko GTA02 Neo FreeRunner. Whose 400 MHz
processor runs Linux 2.6.24.

I had been connecting it to my PC via USB cable according to the
procedure described at the following address.
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/USB_Networking#The_shortest_way

In order to make this work, I used to start by deselecting "Enable
Networking" from the ⇅ menu top right on my Ubuntu desktop. Otherwise
the terminal window logged into the phone tended to hang. Necessitating
launching another terminal window and killing the process running SSH
into the phone!

__________

But I now want to upgrade the phone's software, as described at the
following address.
http://left.subtree.org/category/freerunner/
This requires the phone to connect to the Internet.
{Once I was able to successfully ssh into the Neo and verifed that I
could also connect to the internet from the Neo I wanted to upgrade to
the latest software release.}

__________

So I had "Enable Networking" ticked. And "Wired Network (Intel 82540 EM
Gigabit Ethernet Controller)" connected to Netspeed. But "Wired Network
(Linux 2.6.24/s3c2410 udc RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget)" was disconnected.

According to the "Upgrade Software" section of the above "FreeRunner: a
Sourceful of Secrets" page, I entered "|opkg update"| in the terminal
window||. This was at the `~' prompt, logged in to the phone as root.
Following was the response.

{Downloading http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/Multiverse/Packages.gz
Downloading http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/Multiverse/Packages.sig
Signature check failed