[clug] Diagnosing display freeezes

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 00:40:38 MST 2015

On 29/01/15 10:52, Andrew Janke wrote:
>> The symptoms you describe remind me of a problem I used to see ages ago on an OpenSUSE
>> system.  From memory the problem turned out to be the size of the Xorg.0.log file in /var/log.
>>
>> For some unknown reason the Xorg server was doing a full read of that log file from time
>> to time and you'd see a long pause during that read.
>
> Good call!  While at it also be sure to nuke:
>
>     ~/.xsession-errors
>
> It can grow to preponderous proportions if left to its own devices and
> something is awry.

Might logrotate be useful?

And... if something is awry and filling the xsession-error log, that'd
be the first place I'd look for hints - though I presume in this
instance the OP would have already done so (as well as other logs).

Centos 7 is systemd??

/var/log/journal can grow too large for the allocated space if
SystemMaxUse= is not set correctly (but that normally just results in a
freeze rather than intermittent freezes)

Perhaps the following may show something not in the logs:-
systemctl --state=failed

The only similar errors I've had that 'might' be relevant were dbus
errors (KDE Plasma) - which would occasionally cause the mouse to freeze
(permanently) and the lights on the keyboard to flash.

Kind regards