[clug] Diagnosing display freeezes

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 16:35:53 MST 2015

Checked the SMART status of your HDD? I've seen the same thing but it
turned out to be high wait times from a disk that was desperately
re-allocating bad blocks all the time.  Replaced disk, problem gone.

If however it happens based upon certain X events then yes, probably
drivers. Anecdotally I've had little luck with the nouveau drivers for
anything with more than one display with nvidia hardware.
Conveniently modern Intel hardware has enough video horsepower for me
these days.