[clug] Wireless usb stick

Kevin Murray kevin at kdmurray.id.au
Sat Jan 17 19:18:04 MST 2015

On 09:01 17/01, spinifex at iprimus.com.au wrote:
>      I seek a wireless usb stick to work with Linux - specifically Kubuntu
> 12.04.  The Charnwood computer shop have recommended the Huawei E3276 but
> when I check that on the 'net it brings no mention of Linux - would anyone
> in CLUG know whether it is Linux compatible, please?  And/or recommend an
> alternative?
> Keith Sayers               keith at keithsayers.id.au
> 6 Clambe Place
> CHARNWOOD, ACT 2615
> Australia             http://www.keithsayers.id.au

- ** re-sending reply to list ** -

Hi Keith,

This page has a pretty good list of wifi USB sticks that work with GNU/Linux
(specifically debian, aimed at at Raspberry Pi).

http://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters

My general experience: go for something by atheros, or ralink if you
must. I've had no end of trouble with realtek chips. Of couse, your (and
others') milage will almost certainly vary.

Cheers,
Kevin

P.S., a good place to get one could be here, though quite pricey:
https://www.thinkpenguin.com/catalog/wireless-networking-gnulinux

---
Kevin Murray
kevin at kdmurray.id.au

I'm an FSF member -- Help us support software freedom!
<https://www.fsf.org/join>

GPG pubkey: http://www.kdmurray.id.au/static/A4B4EE6A.asc
FPR: 656C 0632 1EAB 2C3F 3837  9767 17C2 8EB1 A4B4 EE6A