[clug] Wireless usb stick

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 17:43:01 MST 2015

On 17/01/15 09:01, spinifex at iprimus.com.au wrote:
>      I seek a wireless usb stick to work with Linux - specifically Kubuntu
> 12.04.  The Charnwood computer shop have recommended the Huawei E3276 but
> when I check that on the 'net it brings no mention of Linux

Google magic(?)
:)

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=linux+Huawei+E3276

> - would anyone
> in CLUG know whether it is Linux compatible, please?  And/or recommend an
> alternative?
> Keith Sayers               keith at keithsayers.id.au
> 6 Clambe Place
> CHARNWOOD, ACT 2615
> Australia             http://www.keithsayers.id.au

They work just fine on any OS - no drivers required (cdc_ether).

They first present as a (fake) CD which offers to install software you
do *not* need. You need to "switch" it from CD mode to modem mode using
usb-modeswitch.

as root:-
apt-get -y install usb-modeswitch usb-modeswitch-data

If you have network-manager installed it should then "just work".
If, like me, you use /etc/network/interfaces to manage connections then
you need to add an appropriate entry (as root).

e.g.:-
# /etc/network/interfaces
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.6
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.0.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if
installed
        dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.8.4

# the USB 3G Wireless modem
allow-hotplug eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

*How it works*

*1.* Plug in the modem

*2.* udev picks up the device and triggers usb-modeswitch which converts
the USB device to modem mode (/dev/eth1)

*3.* the USB modem starts a DHCP server at 192.168.1.100 which serves an
address to /dev/eth0 of 192.168.1.1

*4.* a "route" is created e.g.:-

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
default         USB_Modem       0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth1
localnet        *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1

Done!

You can access the modem controls and SMS interface with your browser at
http://192.168.1.1 (the device also includes a webserver).

You can then setup iptables if you wish to use that computer to provide
internet access to the rest of your LAN. Let me know if you need help
doing that.

Kind regards