[clug] The biggest mass surveillance scheme in Australian history

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 02:12:57 MST 2015

On 28/02/15 18:36, Bryan Kilgallin wrote:
> Scott:
<snipped>
>> Personally I wouldn't trust the guy behind duck duck go unless he's
>> undergone a major conversion of ethics since the venture he undertook
>> prior to becoming a privacy advocate.
>
> Can you suggest anything more comforting?

Opium, or denial. Pick one, or maybe both.
:)

Seriously - build your own search bot if you 'need' to trust others and
wish to avoid disappointment.

<snipped>

>> My best advice is employ encryption on your hard-drive, deploy
>> NoScript, FlashBlock (if you 'really' must use Fffflash), avoid Java
>> like the plague and encrypt all your emails as *a matter of course*.
>
> I would appreciate referral to readable resources (with a Linux flavour)
> on encryption.

man -k luks
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=LUKS&ie=utf-8

I can't define what someone else calls "readable".

>> And most importantly - don't do anything likely to justify invasion of
>> your secrecy unless you have very compelling reasons *and* are
>> prepared to accept the worst case outcomes.

<snipped>

Kind regards

---
"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple" ~ some dead
person