[clug] GlusterFS Vs. Ceph - High Availability Virtualization using Proxmox VE and Ceph

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Sat Feb 14 21:39:18 MST 2015

    I am not familiar with Ceph and only recently been learning about
GlusterFS. How does this all work? (explained simply at a high level).

http://www.jaxlug.net/wiki/2014/07/16#Using_GlusterFS_for_simple_ISO_storage_and_distribution
High Availability Virtualization using Proxmox VE and Ceph

  USING GLUSTERFS FOR SIMPLE ISO STORAGE AND DISTRIBUTION

	*  Ceph is not meant for file storage for things like ISO images, and
the CephFS add-on layer is still unstable but wouldn't necessarily
work for our purposes. So we decided to use GlusterFS for ISO storage.
Infact, GlusterFS has a built-in NFS server, which Proxmox prefers, so
this works out well. We shouldn't have multiple potential writers so
don't need to worry about things like split-brain multiple writers.
Most of our usage will be read-only.
http://www.networkcomputing.com/storage/gluster-vs-ceph-open-source-storage-goes-head-to-head/a/d-id/1113581
http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceph_%28software%29