[clug] The end of the personal computer age is nigh !

Brendan Jurd direvus at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 16:59:58 MST 2015

On 14 February 2015 at 22:50, Bob Edwards <Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au> wrote:

> On 14/02/15 13:01, Brendan Jurd wrote:
>
>> I sympathise with your concerns, but in the end the convenience offered by
>> these cloud services may be overwhelming.

Why don't they just accept that petrol has won
> and trust the law-abiding oil companies, who only have our best
> interests at heart, to do what they are much better able to do than
> we are?

I seem to have done a poor job of expressing myself here.  I actually don't
advocate that everyone give up and let the corporations have it all their
own way.

The "barn door" I was referring to was specifically in response to the
original poster's yearning for the old days of single-device,
mostly-offline personal computing.

If there are people out there working on open-source alternatives to the
big corporate cloud offerings, then I wish them good hunting, and I look
forward to seeing what they come up with.