[clug] Editing FAT attributes in Linux

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Feb 4 00:39:13 MST 2015

On 4 Feb 2015, at 18:00, Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's unclear to me what you want.

I want to set the “hidden” attribute of files on FAT and FAT32 file systems, from a Unix command line.

> The simplest solution is to simply leave Windows "hide
> known file extensions" enabled - which, if memory serves correctly,
> makes .files hidden.

I don’t have control over the other users’ systems. I do have control over the file system I’m producing. I don’t have qualms about file system metadata being stored in dot files, but lots of Windows users seem to consider it “rude” for all these strange files to be littered all over the file system. FAT doesn’t support xattrs so the data has to be stored *somewhere*.

My way of solving the problem is to hide the files from view. After all, perception is reality :)

Alex