[clug] Editing FAT attributes in Linux

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Feb 3 22:19:02 MST 2015

Dear Lazyweb,

I would like to be able to set the "hidden" attribute on files and directories on a FAT filesystem (e.g.: thumb drive, SD Card) so that dotfiles are hidden from Windows PCs and, for example, digital picture frames.

There is a question on Superuser that hasn't been answered yet, so I thought I would ask the knowledgeable community of Linux geeks here :)

http://superuser.com/questions/656826/command-line-tool-to-edit-fat-fat32-attributes-on-mac-os-x

I know that Samba can do this kind of thing automatically for network shares (i.e.: make dotfiles on the local file system "hidden" to Windows clients connected over the network), but that does not alter the file system locally. Also, my digital camera can't handle CIFS (slack, I know).

Any suggestions for a GNU/BSD/other tool that might help?

Alex