[clug] browser connection question

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 03:04:58 UTC 2015

On 16/08/15 12:05, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> First, I apologise for interrupting the less technical discussions going
> on...

:)
Technically it's not obvious this is more technical.

> I start firefox and have nothing open. I am observing the activity on my
> privoxy log.
>
> I connect to DuckDuckGo and see that connection in the log.
> Without any query I close the window, then even clear cookies and the
> cache.
>
> About 3 minutes later I see a connection
>     "CONNECT duckduckgo.com:443 HTTP/1.1" 200 257620
> The log shows activity without delay and the messages are timestamped
> anyway.
> What is causing this?

Assuming you use IPv4
for i in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_*;do echo $i;cat $i;echo "";done

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/TCP-Keepalive-HOWTO/overview.html

> I expected the closed tab to be done with this site.
>
> <OT> As an aside, I see a connection to www.eff.org:443 every 5 minutes.
> And I thought
> I disabled all those pesky features. Sad to see Mozilla diverging so far
> from the
> original manifesto of openness and treating the user as in charge.</OT>

Are you certain that's Mozilla (or a Firefox "privacy" extension)? It's
easy to test - use another browser.

Note: I've found privoxy phoning home in the past. An entry in
/etc/hosts stops that.

lsof | tail -n +2 | awk '{print $1 " " $2}'