[clug] Removing older kernels -> Ubuntu on a legacy PC

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Sat Aug 15 08:02:33 UTC 2015

Hi Scott:

> NOTE: 64-bit is not necessarily better (it's a matter of context).
>> And therefore unable to run Ubuntu 14.04.
> Oh Reilly? ;)
> You have been misinformed. Trusty Tahr *is* available in 32-bit (which
> you should have noticed anyway given that you *are* running the kernel
> from that release.

So I ran Update Manager. Against "New Ubuntu release '14.04.3 LTS' is
available", I clicked "Upgrade". Resulting in the following warning. So
I clicked "No".

{Your graphics hardware may not be fully supported in Ubuntu 14.04.

Running the 'unity' desktop environment is not fully supported by your
graphics hardware. You will maybe end up in a very slow environment
after the upgrade. Our advice is to keep the LTS version for now. For
more information see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/UpdateManagerWarningForUnity3D Do you
still want to continue with the upgrade?}

I visited the recommended site. Which said the following. Being true, as
my PC is an old hand-me-down!

{While llvmpipe is pretty good on modern CPUs, if your video card is old
your CPU is likely old too, and it may result in unusable performance.}

After which I noted the following.

{Alternatives may include sticking with an old ubuntu release or
switching to one of the lighter weight derivatives or Debian. For 12.04
and 12.10, ubuntu-classic (no effects) is also a feasible option. To do
this, install the gnome-session-fallback package, and then on the login
screen click the gear icon and select "Ubuntu-classic (no effects)".}

What do you advise?

I am beginning to think that it may be time to get a more modern PC.
Which as a pensioner I had avoided for budgetary reasons!

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/