[clug] engine mangement software

freds72 at softhome.net freds72 at softhome.net
Wed Aug 12 23:01:14 UTC 2015

Vehicle on board diagnostics (OBD) came out in the eighties I think, and
most manufacturers had proprietary interfaces and software.
In 1996 the US government did something sensible and legislated that all
cars sold there would have a standard OBD interface located within 18" of
the steering wheel.  The codes that these interfaces report are different,
but all must be openly listed. You can buy cheap bluetooth OBD plugs for
$5-$15. A program to interpret the signals is required, which is where the
CAN program appears. The bus on which all the modules in the car
communicate is called the CAN bus, from controller area network.
David, there are replacement distributors for older english cars, which
look the same but have the electronic gubbins hidden inside. Reliable
starting, and no more points to fiddle with. I think about $200 - $300
 from the old country.

cheers
Pete