[clug] OT: Horrific speeds on NBN

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 03:41:33 UTC 2015

On 04/08/15 12:57, Carlo Hamalainen wrote:
> On 03/08/15 18:17, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> Possibly. Use Glasnost to find out.
>>
>> Glasnost attempts to detect whether your Internet access provider is
>> performing application-specific traffic shaping. You can test if your
>> ISP is throttling or blocking email, HTTP, SSH, Flash video, and P2P
>> apps including BitTorrent, eMule and Gnutella.
>>
>> http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest-mlab.php
>
> Looks ok for ssh and torrent traffic. Thanks for the pointer though.

If there was any problems I find that Glasnost seems to, um, motivate
ISPs - if the report doesn't, the publication of the report on the
international data pages does.

For general transfer speed reports the mlab NDT[*1] test is by far the
best (low bin rate with ISP complaints), useful for tuning your
connection too (as is namebench[*2]). Most tests just do a simple file
transfer - which'd be useful if the ISPs didn't game that system (they
cache the results). Some tests are particularly useless. e.g. ping for
anything other than measuring UDP packet speed, ditto traceroute
(tcptraceroute is a little less useless).

[*1] http://www.measurementlab.net/tools/ndt
[*2] http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

> --
> Carlo Hamalainen