[clug] OT: Horrific speeds on NBN

Carlo Hamalainen carlo at carlo-hamalainen.net
Mon Aug 3 06:49:16 UTC 2015

Hi,

My parents have a new nbn connection, a 25/5 plan from TPG. Download
speeds are very different based on the site being used:

* Downloading HD video from youtube using youtube-dl: 2.2 MB/s
* Downloading a tarball from my EC2 host (US-east): 80 KB/s
* Apt-get update using au.archive.ubuntu.com: 80 KB/s
* Apt-get update using us.archive.ubuntu.com: 80 KB/s
* Wget of
http://download.skype.com/linux/skype-ubuntu-precise_4.3.0.37-1_i386.deb: 80
KB/s
* Wget of http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/test/100meg.test: 400 KB/s

Meanwhile I can reliably upload via scp to my EC2 host at 600 KB/s.

Does TPG run some kind of transparent proxy that lets Youtube traffic
through and demotes everything else to worse-than-ADSL2 speeds?

Is this the kind of thing that the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman
would like to hear about?

--
Carlo Hamalainen
http://carlo-hamalainen.net