[clug] Cloud + rsync + backup

Tony Lewis tony at lewistribe.com
Mon Aug 3 02:54:28 UTC 2015

On 3/08/2015 12:07 PM, Paul Harvey wrote:
> I'm a huge fan of bup [1], but haven't played with any of the hacks
> which add encryption (Eg. [2]).

+1 for bup being efficient in both space and time.

Outside of BUP, If you encrypt, this often requires the same amount of
storage again, for the local repository of encrypted files.  This
bothered me as inefficient, so I use EncFS in "reverse" mode, which
provides a FUSE filesystem of the encrypted results.  I then sync that
filesystem to the cloud.

Caveat: a crypto review of EncFS was not favourable
[https://defuse.ca/audits/encfs.htm] but I'm postulating it's good
enough for the casual security I require on photos and documents.

For the storage I use CrashPlan (Java for both plumbing and porcelain,
sigh), and I am thinking of adding hubiC for redundancy.

Tony