[clug] Cloud + rsync + backup

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Mon Aug 3 02:51:50 UTC 2015

On 08/03/15 12:07, Paul Harvey wrote:
> I'm a huge fan of bup [1], but haven't played with any of the hacks
> which add encryption (Eg. [2]).
>
> I've been meaning to look into ZBackup [3].
>
> Crypto is easy to get wrong, I tend to avoid file-level encryption.

What do you mean by this? What level do you prefer? The smaller the encryption
unit the better the recovery from damaged files, and the less volume is changed
with any cleartext change. So I assume you prefer block level encryption?

An aside: How safe is encryption when you have many files in both cleartext and
cypher. This is the case when system files are included in a backup.

Eyal

Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)