[clug] MC command line -> mc.keymap

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Sat Apr 25 10:22:07 MDT 2015

Thanks, Scott:

> I'm guessing you run GNOME, which supports the XDG standard, in which case mc.desktop will be used - so any problems with gibberish will likely be character encoding issues; your problems with key combinations will be
> because they have been assigned to another program.

My legacy PC runs Ubuntu 12.02, using Unity 2D.

{*Unity* is a graphical shell
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_shell> for the GNOME
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME> desktop environment
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment> developed by
Canonical Ltd. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical_Ltd.> for its
Ubuntu operating system
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28operating_system%29>.}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_%28user_interface%29

> That blank line 'should' be a CLI - you simply type command in it.

I haven't got much sense from it!

{Warning

The Commander can't change to the directory that
the subshell claims you are in. Perhaps you have
deleted your working directory, or given yourself
extra access permissions with the "su" command?}

> If you need to see the output of a command press Ctrl+O to "switch out" of mc.

OK, yes, I saw the list that I had requested, in a fish shell window.

> Mc will still be running and can be returned to by repeating the command.

Yes, I found that. But what is the use of entering a command on one line
of Midnight Commander--when the latter has to be switched out in order
to see the results?

> At the right-hand end of that CLI line you'll see [^], clicking in that with your mouse will show your command history.

Yes, I found that.

> You have a number of keys on your keyboard that you can safely use for "hard" hotkey combinations. e.g. at a minimum you'll have two "meta" keys (with the MS logo on a MS keyboard) and "drop-down" button (between the right meta and Ctrl keys).

The Windows key becomes "Super".

{ The Super key serves a special function inUnity. If you press the
Super key, the Dash is displayed. If you pressand holdthe Super key, an
overlay showing many of Unity's keyboard shortcuts appears until you
release the Super key.}

> You may also have dedicated email, browser, and search buttons.

My keyboard has a "FN" key between Alt and Ctl on the right hand side.

/etc/mc/mc.keymap

I had experimented with "sup-" before the key numbers. Running into the
hassle that Unity had pre-set meaning to the Super key. But I have since
forgotten in which configuration file that Midnight Commander key
designation was! And I was not able to guess the abbreviation for that
"FN" key, to use in that file.

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/