[clug] TextSecure, GPLv3 encrypted chat for Android

Jeff NotTelling smee.heee at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 01:08:26 MDT 2015

G'Day Chris,

Thanks  for the heads up. Yes, as I've been away and on mobile data only I
hadn't applied the latest "update" and was still enjoying secure SMS.

It is a pity, as I've been running TextSecure since it was mentioned in a
talk at LCA2012, and loving it.  Unfortunately for my usage pattern, it now
makes no sense to keep it, as I only used the SMS feature (and am on
unlimited SMS so data is more precious than SMS's to me).  I did try the
"new" messaging service a while back, but stopped using it as only about
10% of messages came through, and of that 10% most were delayed by 10-20
minutes.  So again, for my purposes, completely useless.

Have/do you use the non-SMS feature?  Has it got better?  I see from the
Play Store comments that it appears to still be as bad, but am interested
in your (and any other CLUGers) experience with it.

I do feel completely had by the developers though, a pretty fundamental
change to the features, they could have made the removal of this core
feature a bit more obvious.  Oh well, now off to tell all the people I had
converted to using it, to just go back to the default SMS app. Will
continue looking for a secure replacement, and from my skimming messages
here it appears as though there may have been a few candidates mentioned
already.

Cheers,
Jeff,