[clug] Learning mc -> Private viewing

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Mon Apr 20 09:51:44 MDT 2015

Thanks again, Scott:

I am working through your suggestions.

> *1.* May I suggest on Ubuntu you edit ~/.ssh/config and add an entry like:-

I am using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. But in my "~/.ssh/" directory is only the
text file "known_hosts". Its content appears to be encrypted.

> Replace $PhoneNickname with a nickname for your phone (e.g. p)
> Replace $FQDN with the fully qualified domain name of the phone (see /etc/hosts on Ubuntu for the name)

In my "/etc/" directory is a file called "hosts". It lists the IP
addresses of localhost and my PC and phone nicknames.

> Once that's done you can just use the nickname to ssh/scp etc.

Yes, I thus (by nickname) SSH into the phone.

> *2.* May I also suggest using a private key instead of insecure password logins?

I feel clueless (lacking confidence) on this subject. Please suggest a
beginner's on-line reference.

> If you have ssh always listening on port 22 *and* allow both root logins and password authentication you should at least configure port knocking or fail2ban to stop brute force attacks.

I feel ignorant here! So again I ask for referral to an introductory
on-line explanation!

> (but given that most people leave the PIN for their voice mail set to the default last 4 digits of their phone number I may have unrealistic expectations)

Long ago, people working on computers had doctoral degrees. Then
marketing expanded the number of machines beyond four!

> To check what port the phone uses run either of the following on the phone:-
> echo ${SSH_CLIENT##* }

The result was null.

> cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config | grep -v "^#" | grep -i ^"port "

I got a file not found error. So I looked in in the phone's "/etc/"
directory. But it didn't have an "ssh" subdirectory!

> *3.* If you find working in a single session frustrating may I suggest "screen"?

It's installed--though I don't know how to use it! Can you recommend a
tutorial?

> Add the following to ~/.bashrc

My default shell is fish.

> Lots of tutorials on screen at the Google University

I am wallowing in need-to-know!

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/