[clug] Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective

Hal Ashburner hal at ashburner.info
Mon Apr 20 08:06:21 MDT 2015

I didn't know it was freely available, thanks! I've read it, it's not
bad. Assembly language level stuff is hard to come by and much of what
is around (eg anything published by Springer) is pretty poor quality.
Apart from this if you want x86-64 assembly you have Ray Seefarth
whose book is no better than adequate, intel/amd's manuals, the abi
spec and the actually very good and freely downloadable stuff from
Agner Fog. http://www.agner.org/optimize/ Or maybe you go the
"Reversing" route, which I haven't really explored much.

Very little indeed available on recipes for using mmx,
sse{,2,3,4,4.1}, avx{,2} to get things done. You have to search the
web for presentation slides on Left Packing and so on.

Dr Paul Carter's freely available 32bit x86 assembly book is ok.
Randall Hyde's is a bit nutty due to his "high level assembler"
language used,
Bartlett's "Programming from the ground up" is freely downloadable,
also 32 bit and is ok.
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/pgubook/
Wrox's professional Assembly is a worthwhile intermediate 32 bit book.

Ulrich Drepper's "What every programmer should know about memory" I
recommend highly. Can't recommend it highly enough, actually.
http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/cpumemory.pdf

There's a (free) coursera course that uses Bryant and O'Hallaron
taught by the University of Washington iirc if you want to go to town
on the content.