[clug] syncing with android directly without large corporations

Carlo Hamalainen carlo at carlo-hamalainen.net
Sun Apr 19 16:13:00 MDT 2015

On 19/04/15 12:47, Kim Holburn wrote:
> I'd like to be able to sync my laptop with an android phone without any data going to servers owned by large companies.  It seems quite difficult.  All these companies want my private data to go through their servers.  Does anyone do this?  Has anyone done this?

Seafile offers encrypted libraries: http://seafile.com/en/help/security/

I run it on a small EC2 server. I had a few problems when I started
using it a few months ago but now it seems quite stable. There is
Android client: http://seafile.com/en/download/

> My ancient phone died recently and I am looking at getting an android phone, although I find that the inability to control what apps can do on android is infuriating to the point of being a deal breaker.

Cyanogenmod and SlimKat offer the ability to control permissions on a
per-app basis.

-- Carlo