[clug] Make your own smartphone - raspberry pi & 3D printing thrown in for good measure!

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 19:45:53 MDT 2015

Thanks Stephen - *this* is a subject of great interest to me.

On 19/04/15 09:39, Stephen Hocking wrote:
> It's 2G only at this point (where are some nice cheap 3G radios?),

Allwinner, MediaTEK, Spreadtrum, and others will do 3 and 4G. You'd
probably have to make a minimum buy of 500 if you go direct, much less
if you go through a reseller (dx and aliexpress?). I'm not sure how
you'd get an IMIE without directly joining the GSM association though
(expensive, SimCOM?). These and other SoCs would be "open" only in a
limited sense - open to the buyers, but not others (NDA). This 'might'
be different if you have a guide to Gongkai (Bunnie?).

NOTE: I call cheap <$100, but if you don't mind stripping low-end
Chinese phones for parts you could get the chipset for <$20.  Have I
done this? No :)  But I'm watching closely to see when someone else does
(there are a few forensic hackers probing the MediaTEK modules).

> but outside of some binary blobs (to load the OS)

the FONA uses an open GSM Stack??

> it's all open.
>
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/tyfone-a-diy-smartphone/

For those interested in modular mobile phones, open hardware mobile
phones, and an open GSM stack:-

http://openphoenux.org/
http://pandaboard.org/ (an alternative to the Raspberry Pi better suited
to "smartphones").