[clug] project, video editing,editing out ads

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Wed Apr 15 04:31:31 MDT 2015

More search terms:
 “Perceptual Hashing”
 “Video Fingerprinting”
 “Image Deduplication”.

These are active research problems with little Open Source available, at least directly.
There are multiple patents and large, expensive commercial firms doing this work.

I’d argue two things:
 - simple crypto hashes will pick-up Adverts, because they are Bitwise-identical, not perceptual, and
 - there a lot of code out there for image compression. They contain the components to find ‘duplicates’.

I’d use the Brute Force and Ignorance approach first and eliminate bitwise-identical frames/sequences first.
While doing this pass, it’d be wise to do some feature extraction for later use.

HTH
sj

FOSS Project: phash, Perceptual hashing.
<http://www.phash.org>

Big Expensive Product
<http://duplicatevideosearch.com/video-fingerprinting/>

2009, GOOG Open Sources WebP format
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/23/webp_format_in_chrome_gmail_picasa/>

2004, BBC Open Sources ‘Dirac’, a wavelet codec.
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/10/bbc_develops_codec/>

A 2011-12 paper on the topic from a Stanford course
<http://vision.stanford.edu/teaching/cs231a_autumn1213_internal/project/final/writeup/nondistributable/Wen_Paper.pdf>

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)