[clug] Seeking FOSS Hypervisor and Management GUI

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Tue Sep 30 23:16:51 MDT 2014

    Bob,

1) Do you know how a Linux server can prepare for UPS shutdown by
stopping services and then changing the mount of the root partition to
be read only ?  This is something I have yet to find the time to
investigate but understand what should be implemented by the UPS
shutdown process.

2) With regards to your statement "I was thinking of just
backing-up/copying the system area";

With MS Windows, I would never have tried to backup just Windows
System area and hope to get the server to ever reboot again, however I
understand that this is actually possible with Linux (not that I yet
know how).

What would need to be backed up (not including /home if this is where
the data is), and can it be restored to a live system?  (I guess this
is documented somewhere in the Internet)
(my quick suggestion of what would need to be backed up  for MySQL,
DoveCot, Postfix, Samba?).
/etc
/var/
/bin
/sbin
/selinux
/proc
/lib
/lib64

Does the broken server's drive need to be mounted in another server
and then the files restored across the existing, broken server? Or if
the server is actually running, can services be stopped and the files
be restored.

At Wednesday, 01-10-2014 on 14:32 Bob Edwards wrote:

On 01/10/14 13:32, George at Clug wrote:
>      I really hate showing my ignorance, I had to look up what
dd was;
> The dd command copies a file, converting [1] the format of the data
in
> the process, according to the operands [2] specified.
>
> Snapshots have an advantage over "copies" of a virtual machine,
> especially when that virtual machine is a data repository that is
> larger than the free space (even when compressed) on the host
> hypervisor. And 6TB of data takes a while to copy, dd, etc.  A
> snapshot should just fork any new changes to the original image for
> the life of the snapshot, consolidation is the process of merging
the
> snapshot changes back into the original image.  If the snapshot is
> not too old, both of these tasks are usually are very quick.  At
> least that is how I understand the VM snapshot process.

That's all true.

I was thinking of just backing-up/copying the system area, not the
entire data repository, which should be backed up elsewhere. I suppose
the updates you want to apply might break the data repository, in
which case you could restore it from backup. But that would take
very many hours...

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.