[clug] [OT] NBN migration & ISPs

Ben Davies bdcrux at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 21:48:19 MDT 2014

Hi all,

I figured I'd consult the local linux list hive mind for some NBN ISP
opinions. The existing linux list archives didn't turn up anything,
although there were some threads on whirlpool.

Given the migration was from the Transact FTTH monopoly, by default we
were signed up with iinet. Their rates are not particularly
competitive & technical support was pretty bad. eg. on a call I
mentioned using Linux, which got the stunned response "oh", followed
by instructions to type Windoof commands...

A more technically savvy ISP would be nice :-)

For those on the NBN, has anyone got any recommendations/experiences
with other ISPs?

If it helps, our 2P household are only light-moderate users: mostly
mail or web browsing, no gaming, occasional streaming of iview & Skype
calls.

cheers,

Ben

PS. if anyone is interested, I can post some details of the migration
installation. This was another area where NBN Co / iiNet were lacking
in info, resulting in more hoops to jump through.