[clug] User psychology

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Thu Oct 30 23:52:31 MDT 2014

Dear Scott:

> One of my primary reasons for posting to lists is to *try* and improve
> my writing skills at "promoting diversity of opinion to enhance
> community" while contributing to the pool of technical knowledge of the
> subjects under discussion.

Attempting to improve communication is a worthy goal of which I approve!

> I've learnt many things in the process -
> chiefly my own ignorance and limitations. :/

Some humility and expression of vulnerability surely aids the
communication process!

> That said... I (mostly) agree with Steve's sentiments.

I have been given tasks to go on with, namely exercises in vi/Vim tutorials.

But I am aware from interactions in meetings that others would prefer to
be engaged in higher-level technology!

> However I'm
> reluctant to conclude that Bryan deliberately aims at causing offence.

Computer science is not the only science; psychology is another one. And
so I cite the following excerpt about my rare personality type.

{This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social
rituals; for instance, they tend to have little patience and less
understanding of such things as small talk and flirtation (which most
types consider half the fun of a relationship). To complicate matters,
INTJs are usually extremely private people, and can often be naturally
impassive as well, which makes them easy to misread and misunderstand.
Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want
people to make *sense*. :-) This sometimes results in a peculiar
naivete', paralleling that of many Fs -- only instead of expecting
inexhaustible affection and empathy from a romantic relationship, the
INTJ will expect inexhaustible reasonability and directness.}

http://www.typelogic.com/intj.html

This is mentioned on my personality page.
http://www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/personal/default.htm

Another aspect mentioned in the first test result on that page, is that
I may have some tendency to Asperger's syndrome, an autism spectrum
disorder. Whereby, according to another test result, I am highly
systematising (and so interested in computing topics). While being very
low (weak) at empathy!

But what is most apparent is my affliction by a psychiatric disability,
as explained on my OCD page. Perseveration is characteristic of that.
http://www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/ocd/default.htm

Cheers,
B.

--