[clug] Why do we do what we do in Linux? [was Re: Text editor]

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Thu Oct 30 04:13:41 MDT 2014

Briefly, Scott:

> Here are some common ones - -and the
> largest:-
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

Is there a Linux manifesto?

> https://www.debian.org/intro/diversity

{We welcome contributions from everyone as long as they interact
constructively with our community. }

Whereas I know of a social networking site that has many forums for
discussion and debate. Meaning that there one is free to offer
alternative opinions!

> Linux - the biggest co-operative development project in the planets history.

Whereas the dire state of global warming attests to the slowness of
reversing industrial trends!

>>> And most /did/ actively seek feedback from people who used
>>> their advice/designs as a genuine desire to make others happy.
>> I find it ubiquitous that advice gets rejected:
> Whose advice? The maker/knowledge source - or the "user"?? (puzzled)

It seems ubiquitous that one must first massage the ego of a person with
knowledge. Only after this ritual is performed, does technology get
transferred.

So for example, a programmer develops a product that a user doesn't need
and can't use. Yet the latter is required to kowtow to the former, to
get anything done!

> NOTE: that you can't please everyone, especially those that make
> unreasonable demands (or want to "shoot foot").

Well, the Pope has recently acknowledged science. Which is some time
delay since Galileo!

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/