[clug] Why do we do what we do in Linux? [was Re: Text editor]

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Wed Oct 29 07:42:31 MDT 2014

Hal:

> Just as a counter data point, I recall getting stephenson's in the
> beginning as a recommendation when I was first using linux and found
> it pretty disappointing.

I am learning as I go along. I just played the Vim Adventures game
through level 3, breezing through the islands and collecting a key.
http://vim-adventures.com/

> I'm
> completely sold on the command line as a powerful tool, but that essay
> didn't make the sale.

I don't consider myself to have any standard of learning.

Since I can now see inside the Openmoko, perhaps someone can suggest
ways to get familiar with the innards of a small system.

> GUIs are ideal for infrequently done, ad-hoc or
> one off tasks because their commands are more discovervable and you
> can get immediate feedback to see if it did what you thought it would
> and undo it if not.

I don't know how to wrap lines in vi.

> When you find yourself repeating the same steps 3
> or more times the command line wins, then being able to cut and paste
> that command line command into a text file with any name you give it
> and run it as a script - no gui can touch that.

Some day I may be in awe--right now it's still a struggle.

> Recording VBA macros
> in MS office is about as good as you can get in a GUI equivalent and
> it's greatly inferior to intermediate command line usage for such
> tasks.

I used to enjoy coding HyperTalk.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperTalk

Yes, I did some Visual Basic for Applications coding when working with
MS Access.

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/