[clug] Why do we do what we do in Linux? [was Re: Text editor]

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 07:05:32 MDT 2014

On 28/10/14 23:13, Bryan Kilgallin wrote:
> Steve:
>
>> Unix/Linux -> Built by Computer Professionals _for_ Computer
>> Professionals.
>>
>> It’s a different paradigm.
>> They’re not trying to ‘market’, they’re hackers doing what they love
>> and “scratching their _own_ itch”, nobody else’s.--
>
> I feel that's telling me to Q@#%$ ^ off! I am a Linux user--albeit a
> beginner.

Then you've got the wrong end of the offence.  ;p

Consider the early days of radios - where people built and invented
their own radios in the back shed.
They built them to "scratch an itch".
They also shared their knowledge - helped each other - and pooled
resources. And most /did/ actively seek feedback from people who used
their advice/designs as a genuine desire to make others happy.

Never-the-less - their work, unpaid, was not *compelled* by that
feedback and requests for features/capabilities, but *impelled* by a
desire to "scratch their own itch*.

It's a culture of sharing that has continue unabated to this day - the
makers on the hardware side, and the hackers on the software side.

I hope that clarifies things a little - and may help you understand why
"Linux" is very strongly a "do-ocracy" that listens to users - but is
not driven by users (at least, not the main, non-commercial distros).

Kind regards